Employment, Education and Training
The Employment, Education and Training Action Group works to enhance awareness and knowledge of newcomer employment related issues and promotes educational and training opportunities that best support newcomer professional in accessing the labour market.
- Enhance access and navigation to health related services and programmes, acknowledging the distinct circumstances, rights and cultures of recent immigrants in the community.
- Provide greater clarity, understanding and consistency on health, mental health and wellness related definitions/ messaging, to alleviate stigmas, stereotypes and barriers associated to services available to newcomers.
- Support effective communication and knowledge sharing among service providers about health related trends, issues, innovative ideas and best practices for ethno-specific immigrant groups
- Mobilize leadership and foster collaboration at all levels to strengthen the responsiveness of service providers to the health needs of diverse communities in Scarborough.
- Increased collaboration and information sharing amongst newcomer service providers and small businesses and entrepreneurs to support newcomer employment and training.
- Stronger relationships between service providers and universities and colleges.
- More resources available for training and employment access supports (i.e. childcare)
- More awareness among diverse service providers about existing programs and resources, seamless referral processes in place.
- Increased information available for front-line staff on language and training supports for newcomers (i.e. through knowledge-sharing sessions, workshops).
- Identify and promote opportunities for highly skilled professionals in volunteering, placement and mentoring roles for newcomer adults.
Employment, Education and Training Action Group members:
- ACCES Employment
- Afghan Women’s Organization
- Agincourt Community Services Association
- Career Foundation
- Catholic Crosscultural Services
- Centennial College
- Centre for Information and Community Services (CICS)
- Goodwill Employment Services
- Micro Skills
- Polycultural Immigrant and Community Services
- TDSB – Adult ESL
- TEQ LIP Immigrant Council Members
- Toronto Catholic District School Board
- Toronto Employment and Social Services – ILLMP
- Toronto Public Library
- YMCA Newcomer Services