Health Action Group
The Health Action Group is a diverse group of health practitioners, service providers and residents who have a collective vision to enhance and promote the overall health of newcomer residents in Scarborough, while aiming to reduce health inequalities.
- Enhance access and navigation to health related services and programmes, acknowledging the distinct circumstances, rights and cultures of recent immigrants in the community.
- Provide greater clarity, understanding and consistency on health, mental health and wellness related definitions/ messaging, to alleviate stigmas, stereotypes and barriers associated to services available to newcomers.
- Support effective communication and knowledge sharing among service providers about health related trends, issues, innovative ideas and best practices for ethno-specific immigrant groups.
- Mobilize leadership and foster collaboration at all levels to strengthen the responsiveness of service providers to the health needs of diverse communities in Scarborough.
- Increased awareness of and timely access to services for newcomers through greater collaborative efforts in information and referral efforts amongst service providers.
- Develop diverse approaches to addressing health needs of specific and emerging newcomer groups approaches such as LGBTQ newcomers, refugees and undocumented workers to assessing health service in an equitable and effective manner.
- Build strong partnerships with local, regional and provincial networks to champion policy changes aimed at equitable health service reforms and innovative approaches to service delivery at all levels.
- Greater understanding and effective mechanisms to assess and alleviate settlement stressors to newcomer settlement and integration process i.e. job stress, loans, cultural obligations etc.
Health Action Group Members
- Aisling Discoveries Child & Family Centre
- AIDS Committee of Toronto
- Birchmount Bluffs Neighbourhood Centre
- CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
- Carefirst Seniors and Community Services Association
- Catholic Crosscultural Services
- Children’s Aid Society of Toronto
- Canadian Centre of Women’s Education & Development
- Centre for Information and Community Services
- East Metro Youth Services
- Hong Fook Mental Health Association
- Polycultural Immigrant & Community Services
- Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities
- TAIBU Community Health Centre
- TDSB Newcomer Services- Newcomer Services for Adults
- TDSB-Contract Services
- The Scarborough Hospital
- Toronto Public Health
- TDSB- Scarborough Centre for Employment and Accessibility