Housing and Legal Supports
The TEQ LIP Housing and Legal Support Action Group members work together in developing and implementing strategies through service coordination and collaboration to enhance availability and accessibility of housing, legal support and related services for newcomers in Scarborough.
- Enable visibility and accessibility of housing and related services through facilitating service coordination, resource sharing and needs-based partnerships that will result in enhanced access to and ability to maintain affordable housing for newcomers.
- Enhance availability of and access to legal information, resources and services for newcomers.
- Newcomers, including vulnerable and low-income groups are more aware of and have access to services and resources that assist them to have access to affordable, safe and healthy housing options and the ability to maintain these in the long-term
- Affordable, safe and long-term housing leads to improved physical and mental health for newcomers
- Immigrants have more information about legal issues and have barrier free access to legal support services when they need them
- Service providers in Scarborough are more aware of resources and equipped with information of newcomer’s housing and legal services needs and work collaboratively to address them
- Improved service coordination and collaboration among housing/ legal service providers and settlement service organizations.
Our Housing and Legal Supports Action Group members include:
- Afghan Women’s Organization
- Canadian Red Cross Society
- John Howard Society of Toronto
- Scarborough Housing Help Centre
- 42 Division – Toronto Police
- West Scarborough Community Legal Services
- Workers Action Centre