Making our communities safer, stronger and more vibrant for all residents
The Toronto East Quadrant Local Immigration Partnership (TEQ LIP) in collaboration with local and regional partners has organized the Scarborough Community Safety Week, taking place October 7th – 11th, 2013. The event aims to raise awareness on a variety of safety concerns faced by newcomers and the community through interactive simulators, educational workshops and stimulating discussions with service organizations, residents and mainstream institutions.
Click here to find out what is happening during Safety Week across Scarborough.
Service providers are aware of different types of safety issues newcomers face and have the ability to guide newcomer clients.
Newcomers are aware of different safety issues and are able to access service providers that can assist them with their safety concerns.
Stronger relationships among service providers and newcomers are developed, building on effective models of collaboration and community engagement.
Major Themes Of The Safety Week:
- Road Safety (Pedestrian Safety including schoolchildren, seniors and youth, cyclists and commuting issues, vehicle safety, etc.)
- Community Safety (Violence, fear of violence, crimes, safety of children, seniors and women in the neighbourhood/ public space, community relationships and neighbourhood matters)
- Family Safety (Domestic issues and family dynamics, resistance techniques, gas and electrical safety, safety of children at home, abuse, etc.)
- Financial Safety (Scams and fraud that targets newcomers, seniors and other vulnerable groups, documentation and legal awareness)
- Youth Safety (Dealing with youth related issues i.e. bullying, cyber vigilance, drug activities, gangs, homelessness)
Format Of The Events
Oct 7: Kick-off event at 12.00 pm at Centennial Scarborough Recreation Centre, shortly followed by Road Safety Event at the same location
Oct 8 to 11: Workshops, seminars, discussions and information sessions on Financial Safety and Family Safety will be held at multiple locations across Scarborough at community service organizations, libraries, Hub, etc.
Youth safety events will be held in selected High Schools in Scarborough
Oct 11: Wrap up event and Community Safety event will be held at Centennial Scarborough Recreation Centre at 12.00 pm
Organizing Committee Members
- Toronto Police – 41, 42 and 43 Divisions
- Crime Stoppers
- Victim Services Toronto
- Toronto Public Health
- Crisis Response
- Toronto Fire Department
- TDSB – Newcomer Services
- Centre for Information and Services (CICS)
- Toronto East Quadrant Local Immigration Partnership
- CCS – Settlement Workers in Schools Program (SWIS)